· House number pumpkin – simply stencil your house number on your pumpkin
· Stacked pumpkin message – Pick three short, wide pumpkins for a front porch display. Print the free pattern onto transfer paper and add one word per pumpkin.
Wheelbarrow filled with pumpkins, gourds, and pinecones
You will need:
· A small sharp serrated knife or pumpkin carving knife
· A marker or pen
· A stencil (optional)
· All-purpose disinfectant
· Large spoon
Start off with your ideal pumpkin. One that is not too small or big, and is fresh with a sturdy stem, no bruises, and a flat bottom so it won’t roll while carving. However, don't be put off by weird-shaped produce – the more uneven, knobbly, or bizarre the better, as it adds character to your creation. You can find your perfect pumpkin during this time of year in any local supermarket, or you can go to a farm that has a pumpkin field. Simply Google search ‘pumpkin farm/patch near (enter location)’.
Carve your pumpkin lid from the bottom of the pumpkin as this will help prevent the sides caving in later. Or if you would prefer to use the stem as a handle for a lid then that’s totally up to you.
Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and flesh carefully and set aside. Only leave a little bit of the flesh on the inside as you don’t want your walls to be too thin.
Plan out your design with either a stencil or from a picture. You can easily find pumpkin carving stencils online and trace them onto your pumpkin with a light marker. Start at the top of the pumpkin, following the lines with your knife until you’ve achieved your design.
Clean up your design and add any details. The face will be highlighted a lot more once a tealight is added.
Help your pumpkin last longer by putting your pumpkin in a bath of disinfectant solution.
Put a few tea lights inside! For the pumpkin with the top lid: don't try to light the candle first, you can burn your hand trying to do this. Place a non-lit candle in through the lid space. Make sure it's sitting firmly on the base of the pumpkin, then light the candle using a longer lighter. The face you carved from your pumpkin will stand out and look alive!
· You can save your pumpkin seeds for use later if you feel like growing your own pumpkin
· You can also use the flesh you removed earlier to make a lovely Halloween baked treat. The fantastic thing about carving or using these veg as decorations is that nothing needs to go to waste.
· For regular maintenance of your pumpkins so they last even longer we recommend spraying them with an all-purpose disinfectant solution, this will keep it moist and ward of any bacteria and fight off mould.
· As your pumpkin wilts or reaches the end of its life, repurpose it as a bowl-shaped birdfeeder in the garden or on your windowsill. Alternatively, cut it up and add it to your (or a neighbour’s) compost heap. Your pumpkin will provide excellent food for worms and other organisms to break down into beautiful soil for your garden or allotment.
Pumpkin display ideas:
A cohesive display is key here, if you’re decorating your porch, you can use a multitude of different décor items that collate together Autumn Halloween vibe. Such as using fallen colourful leaves, spider webs, different sized pumpkins. You can even arrange gourds of a different colour beside your display to play off the bright orange colour of the pumpkins. A final option is to have a farmhouse pumpkin display, a spook-free way to decorate your entry for Halloween. On a wooden bench, arrange pillows, baskets of small gourds, pumpkins, and a throw blanket. Finish the arrangement with oversize pumpkins and Autumn leaves.
Terms & Conditions for Halloween Giveaway:
Pumpkin season is almost upon us. We're celebrating this wonderful time of the year with a fantastic GIVEAWAY.
Share your pumpkin carvings with us by using the hashtag #dandarapumpkins on Instagram so we can see your pumpkin masterpieces!
In the joy of autumn by entering our GIVEAWAY you have the chance to win this luxurious Naughty But Nice Hamper, packed with naughty treats. Guaranteed to delight from the elevenses coffee break to the evening aperitif.
The giveaway starts on 17/11/2022 and ends at midnight Monday 31st Oct. The winner will be announced on a grid post and story on Tuesday 1st November and contacted via a Direct Message. Thank you to all our entrants and good luck!
Click here to enter the giveaway -
Terms and conditions