HomeNewsHow to prepare for your new home – Spring Style Tips
How to prepare for your new home – Spring Style Tips
Spring is among us; everything is in bloom and now is the perfect time to get organising. Nothing feels better than a good Spring clean and we have some great tricks and tips to make your life easier.
Spring is all about new life and fresh energy, and we can really align with that energy by clearing out old stagnant energy and clutter.
1. Clean room by room or by category, this will help keep you organised and allow you to effectively deep clean and fully complete one thing before moving on to the next. You can even try using a checklist to help you keep on top of things. You can sort your task by priority and importance, to help manage your workload. Set time frames and don’t overstuff your task list. But most importantly, reward yourself - the reward could be as simple as taking a break for five minutes or the pleasure of checking off the task from the task list.
2. Have you watched The Home Edit on Netflix? If so, then you must know the biggest part of any cleaning spree is the editing part! Decluttering is essential in bringing in the new and clearing out anything that no longer serves your purpose. You will feel so much better for it. Less stress, more space and more peace. Your home will finally feel lighter and so will you. You can even organise a boot sale to get rid of unwanted items and add some extra money to your relocation budget. Spring is the best time of the year to hold a boot sale – the weather is nice, and people are more willing to buy new stuff after the great “spring purge”.
3. The brand Boobalou eco-living has some of the best eco-friendly & plastic-free cleaning products to date. They try to reduce the amount of waste they create, so they have a wonderful range of reusable and biodegradable household items, which in turn is diverting more waste from landfills. This helps make a big difference to our environment. Honourable mentions are Smol, Earth choice, Method, Resparkle & Kin Kin.
4. Always work from top to bottom. When you think about how to spring clean your home, it’s important to start from the ceiling down. This will force debris downward and keep you from having to re-dust or re-clean your space. If you have a vacuum with an extension hose, use it to first get cobwebs and dust from your ceilings and fans. Then dust your furniture and other items before vacuuming all the dust and debris off your floors. It will save you time which is crucial.
5. Add soft furnishings. One of the easiest ways to add some interest to your first home is to add different textures and colours with soft furnishings. Think velvet throws, knitted cushions, curtains and rugs. Layer rugs to create warmth and add a cosy touch underfoot – it’s the little things like this that make you feel at home. Think about the colours that you already have going on and add to them with complementary colours and bold accents.
6. Streaky windows? This DIY solution is meant to be solid proof when cleaning your windows streak-free. 8 parts water to 1 part vinegar solution, then wipe down windows with a squeegee and then finish with a microfibre cloth. I know it sounds insane, but MyClean stand by it and guess what? It works. (House Cleaning & Apartment Cleaning Services | MyClean)
7. When decorating your new home, consider choosing design, themes, and colour palettes that will withstand the test of time. For example, neutral colours, earthy tones and pastels are simple and very easy to work with. Sometimes simple is more, and it will allow your spaces to feel grounded and homely. These tones also rarely clash with each other or with other décor pieces, making them a staple in your new home.
8. Nothing is more environmentally friendly than reducing waste and making sure that old furniture doesn't end up in landfills. Choose vintage or antique furniture for your new home to give it a traditional feel. Plus, you can easily transform vintage pieces into contemporary pieces with a few coats of paint and minor repairs. Visit your local thrift and furniture stores for great deals on vintage wood pieces available at scrap prices rather than investing in a plastic product.
We hope we’ve inspired you to get busy and enjoy your home this spring at its very best!